Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Frontier Red "Anniversary Lot 72"

The wine buyer for my local Krogers keeps this one consistently on the shelf, so I've had a couple of bottles before reviewing this one. Ironically I bought it at Whole Foods for $10.99. I think Krogers carries it for a buck less. The label pitches this wine as "a great American value". To me that means five dollars a bottle, not ten.

Frontier Red comes from the Fess Parker Winery. Fess Parker played Davey Crocket back in the fifties. I think the label looks very silly - it puts out a National Rifle Association vibe and has a cheesy faux antique look. However, it's a California red blend with a screw top. How can I resist a table red with a screw top?

The blend comes from Syrah, Grenache, Petite Sirah, Mouvedre, Cinsault, and Carignane.

Jamming my nose in the glass gives me a sweet oakey dark berry aroma - a good sign of things to come. The taste starts sweet, light and spicy and then gets a little woody, but still balanced in the middle. The end gets kinda creamy but still a bit astringent. A nice change of pace if your drinking a lot of somewhat milder Red Truck.

Overall a gutsy kickin red that pairs very well with hot wings. I'm obviously recommending you buy Frontier Red since I keep buying it myself, so I'm rating it three chainrings. Drink well.

No comments: