Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sushi Review of Bamboo in Bedford, Massachusetts

The blog is clearly due for a sushi review, but since we're in west Texas for Mas-O-Menos and little sushi is too be had here (but a lot of other great food), I'll have to fall back on my recollection of a great place I sampled back in the fall in Bedford, MA. I found a placed named Bamboo purely due to the fact that roads in eastern Massachusetts make no sense to me whatsoever (despite my having been born in MA).

Don't let the outside fool you. Bamboo has a nice polished atmosphere inside and the sushi bar met most of my criteria. The tall chairs felt comfortable, and I had a place to rest my feet while sitting on them. They displayed the fish nicely, but unfortunately I could not see the preparation area very well. The sushi chefs were not super forthcoming vis-a-vis fish recommendations.

I went with seaweed salad, miso soup, two pieces each of yellowtail, salmon, and regular tuna, and a maki special for that night containing asparagus, avocado, cucumber and salmon(?). I'm guessing on the fish in the maki - this was a while ago. The soup and sushi were fine - not outstanding, but no complaints. The seaweed salad was the major highlight, combining three different types of seaweed instead of single green stringy kind (although that was in there). Some of the seaweed was an excellent leafy kind. I must also note the maki for its unusual tempura treatment after assembly. I enjoyed the texture, but I felt the outside tempura batter diluted the flavor of the other ingredients too much. An excellent roll for training first time sushi eaters, but not a great item for the sea urchin and raw quail egg crowd.

No comments: