Friday, February 22, 2008

2005 Horse Play Rollicking Red

The smell didn't pull me in or get me excited about writing rest of the review - muskier than sweet, it made me think of all those strong French cheeses my comrade Steve was constantly encouraging me to eat. A Blade Runner cork color matched to the label seemed a bit gimmicky.

Woody. Alcohol came across balanced. Mild start, gusty middle, and somewhat bitter finish. A little spice to it, but too astringent tasting for me. It might budge my way a bit more after being open for a day. More woody and musky than sweet and fruity, but not spicy enough to make the musky or woody part work for me. It's not wimpy, but it seems to be coming on strong in the wrong ways. I'm not sure this wine is ready for the glass just yet, but I generally expect red table wine to be more approachable after 3 years in the bottle.

Jackson Family Wines (as in Kendall-Jackson) created the White Rocket Wine Company and this wine appeared as one of their first offerings. I picked it up at Krogers for $9.99 with a Super Saver card. I rarely have good luck with offerings from the mega vineyards, but I only saw this and one other red blend on the shelves.

Anyway, Melissa Bates crafted this blend for the KJ Empire and I apologize to her for not liking it more. I give it one chainring. Not that that really means anything.

No comments: